Thursday, November 8, 2007

Happy Diwali


Ever since one of my teachers in middle school gave us the gyan of not to buy crackers during diwali because young children were forced to work in sivakasi for making them, me and a few of my friends have been boycotting them. The restraint to not buy/fire them used to be a pride thingy between us friends then. But slowly over the years, the interest also kinda faded off and I guess it has been more than a decade now since I actually indulged.

This morning, I was talking to a friend back in India and came to know that sivakasi now comes with those 'child labor free' stickers on crackers. I so wish I were in India now and blasting those crackers to glory ! Anyways, Happy Diwali, you all folks. Have a good one.

13 comments:

SK said...

Happy Diwali!!

This is the time when I miss India the most! :--(
You can burst crackers here too. :--)

The Kid said...

Bijli is my favorite because that is the only thing I can lite and then throw :)

Man I miss it soo much!

Anonymous said...

Happy Diwali to you too.

-Uday

Karthik Sriram said...

Edhuvume absence la thaaan arumai theriyum pola irukke??

Anyways this funda behind child labor? Atleast we buying gives these kids some days of food.... i know child labor is bad, but unless we help some kinda basic infrastructure to develop, we not buying crackers will basically kill these kids and their families. My 2 cents.

Happy diwali to you (assuming u also have a kaanja sapadu filled diwali...or did u make some special dishes?)

LKS

cm chap said...

Happy Diwali... Yup I too read it. Thanks to all online news. may b we can celebrate using online crackers.

Me too said...

Getting up early, oil bath are also Deebavali traditions. Did you do that? ;)

Belated Deebavali wishes!!

Swetha said...

SK, Thanks. Did you burst any ?

Kid, Don't you think bijli gets boring after a while? May be kids like bijli :P

Uday, Thanks and same to you :-)

KS, You should see the dangerous conditions that these children work! Thanks for your diwali wishes. Ingaum kaanja sapadu dan :-(

CM, Thanks.

MT, Anda tradition ellam vittu romba naal aachu ;-)

Jeseem said...

i wish i could blast a few firecrackers too. but not allowed in us :(
so all i can do is hav a blast :)
wishing u too a happy diwali

Swetha said...

Jeseem, Thanks :-)

The Kid said...

your post inspired me to write a series on firecrackers :)

Unknown said...

Very happy that sivakasi is now free from child labour.Definitely to avoid getting into the crowd, it is best to start buy carckers online India.

Clara Jenkins said...

Good post, hope this diwali may be free of these child labours. Its better to Buy Crackers Online for this diwali and enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Happy diwali. Celebrate diwali withSivakasi crackers